Thread: Hello
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2011, 03:22 PM
Grand Magnate

10 yr Member
Grand Magnate

10 yr Member
Thumbs up Hello WDT!

My physiatrist aka pain doctor is a board certified fellowship educated physician who is most conservative in his selection of patients who present as candidates for SCS. He works closely in association with well known board certified surgeons who perform SCS implant with what in the jargon of the business are known as "good hands." My pain case originated from a car wreck in 2005 resulting in many surgeries. Pain was relentless and the SCS option, the so called "final option" according to my doctors was offered in March 2010.

I went into the consideration of yet another surgery with much trepidation. Would this work? Could this work? Could it cause other troubles with which I could not contend? Since my issues were related to permanent nerve damage affecting the lower half of my body, what if it was worsened?

I researched and read like mad..... everything I could find. Spoke with some patients who had received implants. Began to feel more and more convinced. I knew the situation was basically a three step process once I decided to go forward: (1) a psychological evaluation to determine my stability and expectations, (2) a Trial Surgery in which leads would be placed into my spine at about T8/T9 for my issues [different placement for your cervical scenario], and (3) if the Trial of the product lasting a week was successful, further steps to be considered by an Orthopedic Surgeon whose certifications include implant of such devices and ultimate permanent implant surgery.

The psych eval went well, and I was pronounced a viable candidate. The Trial Surgery was performed by my physiatrist after which I was elaborately taped down to allow the leads to protrude through my skin, run down my back, and connect to a trial computer package similar to that which would be embedded in me if it all worked. Leaping to the end of the Trial, I did NOT want the Trial Leads removed because the release from dramatic pain had been SO successful. During the trial I continued to take pain meds, so the device was handling the over the top pain I felt constantly, as I was not willing to be fully medicated.

At last on 30 June 2010, I was permanently implanted with the Boston Scientific Precision Plus SCS- not a clunky unit at all. It had worked well during Trial and it has served me well since the implant. The surgery was accomplished on an outpatient basis, and I spent about 12 hours or so in hospital registering, prepping, in surgery, then in recovery- zoom back home after that with my wife driving.

The sensation which occurs in my lower body disrupting the pain signals which remain nevertheless is as though I am constantly beset with chills. I would much rather have the chills than PAIN. In August 2010 I commenced withdrawal from all of the pain medication I was consuming, and succeeded fully withdrawing, to this day fully off of pain medications as I use the SCS for all pain management, even pain spikes. The SCS never cures your pain cause, and the pain you have suffered will continue, although masked and managed hopefully by the SCS.

Would I do this surgery again knowing what I know now regarding SCS..... in a heartbeat.

Hoping the best for you,
Mark56
Mark56 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Sophie_ (07-08-2011)