View Single Post
Old 07-07-2011, 04:54 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Antidepressants during PCS recovery

Does anyone have any good info about antidepressant usage during PCS recovery?

For example, are SSRIs the antidepressant of choice for most people with PCS? Is a lower-than-normal dosage appropriate? (I think I read somewhere that this might be the case b/c of brain sensitivity.) Are there some SSRIs or other antidepressants that are contraindicated for people with PCS?

What I'm finding is that the ups and plateaus are tolerable (if frustrating and tedious), but the setbacks are just brutal mentally and emotionally. I would prefer to discuss this issue with a neuropsychiatrist, but I may end up having to talk to my family doc about it, as it will likely be a while before I can see the neuropsych. Any suggestions would be much appreciated...

* Also, I'm willing to consider alternatives that may have fewer side effects (5-HTP, maybe?). Other things being equal, I would prefer to avoid antidepressants, which I've never taken before. The problem is that PCS makes some of the things that I relied on to stay depression-free prior to my injury (work, exercise, getting outdoors, socializing, etc) less available as therapeutic options. So I'm casting about for ways to keep depression at bay.

Last edited by greenfrog; 07-07-2011 at 05:26 PM.
greenfrog is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote