Thread: Hello
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2011, 08:25 AM
Grand Magnate

10 yr Member
Grand Magnate

10 yr Member
Thumbs up Nuances to language

Hi WDT, my own physiatrist wrote to my file that I was Dependent upon the pain meds he was prescribing. Now while learning of the dependency issue and feeling low about it, I understood through the file the report he was truly rendering to Worker's Compensation Insurance, and the two judges who have worked my case, and it is this---- My patient Mark cannot live life even partially well without continuing pain medication prescription, therefore dependent upon them; however, I have hope he will do well on and through the SCS therapy so as to perhaps wean away from the meds.

Once I put my doc's language into that context, I knew he was working to persuade the insuror to allow my SCS treatment. My doc knew I did not want to be forever dependent upon pain meds, and he was thrilled to have me request to go through withdrawal, saying it would be hard. He has been a cheerleader and supporter of my complete withdrawal from all pain meds.

Doc ALWAYS intended that I use the prescribed pain meds needed at the time to manage pain. If he had not felt so, he would not have prescribed them. Perhaps your own doctor is attempting to communicate a similar concept to you WDT and is a good advocate for your upcoming possible SCS. If so, I imagine your doc wants you to use the meds until it is established the SCS is a viable help, else the meds would not have been prescribed.

Dependence and addiction are terms on a continuum of dependence which I think are separated by therapeutic administration. I followed prescriptions to the letter. Did not seek more unless in Doc's opinion more was required. AND I never resorted to some "street" means of attaining something my body craved. Thus, I think there is a difference between dependence and addiction.

Bounce this off your doc if you want, follow their advice regarding using the meds to manage pain until you can make a move regarding SCS if it is for you.

Prayin for ya,
Mark56
Mark56 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ron h (07-08-2011)