Thread: VP Shunt issues
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2011, 03:54 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default VP Shunt issues

Hi, I have just joined today. i had a VP Shunt inserted 4 wks ago following an ICP. (I'm 42). Ever since i came round from anaesthetic i've had abdomen pains & pains in my right side. Pains come and go, sometimes really bad. I went to A&E on monday night coz had v. bad rectal bleeding as well as severe pain in lower abdo & right side. they did blood tests, said i was ok & sent me home. My GP faxed urgent referral to surgeons monday, to review me in clinic. As yet heard nothing. I went back to GP today who tried access the surgeons to no avail! I am getting v bad head pains every time i exert pressure (i have a chiari malformation too). The shunt was put in coz my ICP was megga high when i lay down & asleep. Have my first review in Oct! Am getting worried about the abdo pains, more so after reading other posts. I was given no info by the hospital about what to expect after a shunt insertion. Is it normal to get pain. Also my head is lumpy - lumps on skull as well as the shunt. V. sore to touch parts of skull. Am lookking for reassurance & any wisdom from others who've had VP shunt inserted. Oh and I now have infection in tummy wound and on antibiotics! Feel alone with it all. thanks!
piggywig is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote