View Single Post
Old 07-08-2011, 07:05 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Blank

It's interesting, in the words of my meditation teacher, Shinzen Young, any problem is just a solution to another problem. Take noise sensitivity for example, which I have, although the "bombs" on the 4th of July didn't seem nearly as loud as I remembered them from my childhood: I sense the hand of the Consumer Safety Products Commission. Seriously the medical term is "Hyperacusis," which Merriam-Webster defines as "abnormally acute hearing." So, we may be irritated but at least we hear it! And as to its relationship with CRPS, check out the following:
Hyperacusis in patients with complex regional pain syndrome related dystonia, de Klaver MJ, van Rijn MA, Marinus J, Soede W, de Laat JA, van Hilten JJ, J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 2007 Dec;78(12):1310-3, Epub 2007 Apr 30, FULL ONLINE TEXT @ http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/arti...3/pdf/1310.pdf

Abstract
INTRODUCTION: In complex regional pain syndrome type 1 (CRPS-1), patients may have manifestations of central involvement, including allodynia, hyperalgesia or dystonia. We noted that more severely affected patients may experience hyperacusis, which may also reflect central involvement. The aim of this study was to evaluate the occurrence and characteristics of hyperacusis in patients with CRPS related dystonia.

METHODS: The presence of hyperacusis, speech reception thresholds (SRT), pure-tone thresholds (PTT) and uncomfortable loudness (UCL) was evaluated in 40 patients with CRPS related dystonia.

RESULTS: PTT and SRT were normal for all patients. 15 patients (38%) reported hyperacusis and this was associated with allodynia/hyperalgesia and with more affected extremities. UCLs of patients with hyperacusis were significantly lower than UCLs of patients without hyperacusis.

CONCLUSION: Hyperacusis is common among severely affected patients with CRPS related dystonia and may indicate that the disease spreads beyond those circuits related to sensory-motor processing of extremities.

PMID: 17470470 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE] PMCID: PMC2095603
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17470470
Mike
fmichael is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
allentgamer (07-11-2011), ballerina (07-08-2011), cindi1965 (07-12-2011), daylilyfan (07-09-2011)