View Single Post
Old 07-08-2011, 09:07 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

thank you. i think i understand your explanation. but i think i may not have been clear enough on the relevant dates. so, here is the text from my wife's "Notice of Award" -->

"...You are entitled to monthly benefits beginning September 2009.

Our records show that you became disabled on May 1, 2008. By law, we can pay benefits no earlier than 12 months before the month of filing. Since you filed for benefits on Setember 29, 2010, monthly benefits will begin September 2009..."

So, we actually applied for disability on September 29, 2010....which is 28 months after her disability date of May 1, 2008. I understand that 'by law' they will pay a max of 12 months retro-pay from the date of the application filing. but i am looking to to see if there is a way to go further back....specifically, to the point in time where she could have started to receive payments had we filed the application at the earliest 'legal' date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve3d View Post
With SSDI there is a waiting period of 5 full months, starting the first of the month after the onset of disability, before benefits are paid. Then there is a max of 12 months retro pay. So an onset date of 17 months prior to application would be fully favorable. Since she applied 16 months after her disability date, she will likely get 10 or 11 months of retro pay-depending on the date of her application. Even if she applied 16 months ago, she would not have received any additional benefits due to the waiting period.
rogerd is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote