View Single Post
Old 07-09-2011, 01:43 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Red face About Spondy

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverenoe View Post
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello,
I'm new to this site.
I'm looking for any helpful info on spondylolisthesis of the L5/s1 grade 2 50% slip with nerve damage.
I was told by a ER doctor i have spondylolisthesis in 2008.
And that i was born with it.
started to show in 2003.
peaked in 2008.
Almost 3 months ago i got into the pain clinic.
I'm on pain meds and a prohibitor.
It helps but needs to be bumped up.
Had all the xrays done and had the MRI done two days ago.
I will see the pain doctor in july.
And the surgyen in august.
I want the surgery done.
I have been unemployed for over a year now.
And can't get back to work the way i am now.
I'm looking for any info on this.
Anyone that has this.
Anyone that had the surgury.
What problems i will face till i get this fixed.
Any ideas of finacial help as in to help pay for the surgery.
I'm 39 going on 40 and i have to get my life back.
I have two girls that need me and i can't pay support like this.
welfare is a no go.
As well as disability.
The only help i have right now is charity care from the hospital.
I live in PA.
Any help i will be very greatful.
thank you.
Hi Steve,
So here's the deal... I have a 2 year old little boy, who basically saved my life, forcing me to get up everyday, and out of bed to play with him or to feed him, or to change him, etc... while I was recovering. I went to HSS- Hospital for Special Surgery in NY. Since you live in PA- you are close enough to go and I HIGHLY reccomend you do,as it is the #1 hospital in the entire US for Orthapedic spine proceedures, and they have financial assistance as well, based on need. I had a double level fusion- L4/L5/S1 and the difference from my pain pre surgery to post surgery is like night and day. I am a world better than I was. I am functioning and I am beginning to get my life back. I still have nerve pain, but I am going for additional testing to determine the cause. I am off the opiates finally and now on high doses of Neurontin for the nerve pain.
What Leesa said is true about the "domino effect" as high usage of the vertabre above and/or below, depending on where your issues are. So you will have to be careful with what you do and how you move, each and every day. Its all about adapting. I hate to say it but, spondylolisthesis is a condition that in my opinion will require surgery. I exhausted all of the means of PT, Epidurals and pain meds before resorting to this. Bottom line- my vetabre were falling off of my spine, and non-surgical measures were simply not going to resolve it. I had no choice, and even through the pain and recovery SUCKED, (it does and it will for you...sorry) it was worth it.
Feel free to email me for any further questions you may have...Be well and good luck!!!!:-)
MrsPooh523 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote