Thread: ASENT - Paula
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2007, 07:51 PM
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member

Well the judge gave us a lesson in the history of ethics, which was very interesting for us non-ethics scholars.

From Socrates - Dalawisdalaw;
Kant - The Golden Rule;
Culture - America is "We reason to be right."
Utilitarian - example was when Churchill let Germany bomb his own people to save the greater number of lives by not giving away that they had cracked the German code. Good-Bad= (I can't read my writing...lol).
Social contract - in society, we agree to agree. In the case of a governed society vs. nature - for example,the ship is sinking - who gets the lifeboat, guests or crew. Otherwise we would have to fight to survive.

More modern things like sham surgery aren't going to be easy to convince them to reconsider. but when DBS was mentioned there was a "I don't know about that." They pointed out that placebo is not just needed to prove efficacy, but also needed to prove safety. They likened some trial participants to gamblers thinking - 50% chance for treatment.

They don't deny that it's about money. This was discussed in different contexts.

Met a drug rep who is a child advocate - refreshing.

If i think of more i'll post again.

paula
Sleep disorders covered in depth - one of pD first symptoms?

"Time is not neutral for those who have pd or for those who will get it."

Last edited by paula_w; 03-11-2007 at 10:21 AM. Reason: clarification of content
paula_w is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote