Thread: SCS & Exercise
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2011, 04:33 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Smile Your exercise plan

Hi Kim,

Wow! That's wonderful that your doctor is allowing you to go back to normal exercising and your golfing, i would have thought a swing would be dificult with a bad back but I'm happy that you can take it up again, I can tell it's something you love. My husband is a golfer and i'd love to be able to play golf with him but I could never get the hang of that swing without going into a spasm and taking to the to muscle relaxants for a week!

After my disectomy in '95 and before my current back problems 4 years ago I was very active, I went to the gym twice a week, swam at least once a week, i'd walk at least 5 miles a day and I took Pilates once a week. It's funny too as alot of Doctors I saw when my pain recurred didn't believe I was so active because they told me so often to get more active and I said that was a huge contradiction. I just didn't think that made any sense, how can someone go from being a text book healthy person to being in so much pain.

I loved being active and I was able to do what I wanted when I wanted in terms of activity. Now i'm more comfortable lying on the flat of my back with a book and the TV control, not to mention my laptop. This is something that i've always struggled with and I look forward to going back to the person I was 4 years ago. As much as i'd love it to happen I don't know if i'll ever get back there again. Please God I will.

I'm happy that you can be as active as you like within reason, I guess bungee jumping is off the cards and like Mark56 said I too was told no twisting, no reaching etc.....

Thanks for your reply it gives me hope and I hope you can continue your activities, i know you said you have pain everyday but managable versus chronic....

Sophie. xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzlrogue View Post
Hi Sophie,

I had my SMS implant (along with the paddle) back in February of 2010. After about 2 months, my surgeon gave me the okay to golf. At my year appointment, I was given the ok to do anything I pleased. "No physical limitations" were the exact words. I could even participate in karate as I asked specifically about that. As long as I started out slow, I was able to get my body to handle the activity. Of course, that was quite difficult at first (and still is at times) as I previously lived by the motto, "No pain...no gain". I currently am golfing, participating in water aerobics, working out on the treatmill, doing push-ups & sit-ups, yoga, walking with a little bit of running, and trying to get back into the game of life. I have not joined karate yet but am hoping to in the next couple months. I still feel pain everyday but it is much more manageable. The best part is the SMS is managing the pain as I am no longer on any pain medication. I realize that I still have a long way to go both physically and mentally but I'm tired of sitting on the sidelines. I accept the fact that I cannot do all that I did before the pain but I am finding alternatives that I am enjoying quite a bit. It's finally my turn to beat the pain and I am completely up for the challenge!

I hope you find some type of activity that makes you happy!

Kim
Sophie_ is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Mark56 (07-12-2011), ron h (07-10-2011), Rrae (07-17-2011)