View Single Post
Old 07-09-2011, 05:24 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverenoe View Post
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello,
I'm new to this site.
I'm looking for any helpful info on spondylolisthesis of the L5/s1 grade 2 50% slip with nerve damage.
I was told by a ER doctor i have spondylolisthesis in 2008.
And that i was born with it.
started to show in 2003.
peaked in 2008.
Almost 3 months ago i got into the pain clinic.
I'm on pain meds and a prohibitor.
It helps but needs to be bumped up.
Had all the xrays done and had the MRI done two days ago.
I will see the pain doctor in july.
And the surgyen in august.
I want the surgery done.
I have been unemployed for over a year now.
And can't get back to work the way i am now.
I'm looking for any info on this.
Anyone that has this.
Anyone that had the surgury.
What problems i will face till i get this fixed.
Any ideas of finacial help as in to help pay for the surgery.
I'm 39 going on 40 and i have to get my life back.
I have two girls that need me and i can't pay support like this.
welfare is a no go.
As well as disability.
The only help i have right now is charity care from the hospital.
I live in PA.
Any help i will be very greatful.
thank you.

Hi Steve,

The pathogenises of a spondy is repleat in the literature so I won't bore you with it. Yes, you have most assuredly had this your whole life short of a (very) traumatic injury.

Conservative treatment is strongly recommended and for good reason. The surgery is huge and wickedly brutal with about a 1 year recovery and frankly, the patients that I polled felt no better or worse after the surgery, thought it was a failed waste and wouldn't do it again. Activity modification and avoiding known precipitating events are essential with a mix of various pain management procedures like interlaminer epidurals, selective nerve root blocks, facet blocks, medial-branch blocks and pelvic traction/exercises in PT. You can try accupuncture or chiropractic as everyone has different success stories and may have something to offer. There is no good answer but I think you have some things to work with. You can also get a special lumbar elastic support that has a sleeve for which a plastic thermaform plate is contoured to your body and inserted into the sleeve. That gives some a lot of relief.

As a surgeon told me, you only do a fusion on a spondy when the patient is in prolonged intractable pain, crawling on thier hands and knees for awhile, all conservative efforts have failed and they are ready to shoot someone!

Good luck!
Dubious is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote