View Single Post
Old 07-10-2011, 07:48 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

First thing - are you represented? If not, do so immediately. It is worth the money that you pay for him/her.

Secondly - take a deep breath and relax. It is normal for the judge or SS to hire "expert witnesses" to testify.

I had my SSDI hearing on June 1st. It went very smoothly, as I had an attorney. It was what is considered an "informal hearing", so there was only me, my attorney, the judge, court reporter and the vocational expert. The judge asked a few questions about my previous work history, my previous life, my kids, etc. Then he asked about my condition, what/when/where treatments I had, and then asked the vocational expert if in today's work force I could hold a job based upon my age, education, previous work experience and my current health condition. The vocational expert had looked at my medical history and my previous work experience prior to the hearing, and had determined that given my condition, the amount of necessary resting, possible sick days and medication I am on that I would not be productive as an employee to any employer.

You don't have anything to worry about if you are honest in regards to your condition and you aren't "exaggerating" the pain. Having an attorney is to your benefit, as he/she would be advising you, compiling your medical history so that it is easier for the judge, expert witnesses, and the SSI employees to read and understand. Your attorney would also advise you, help you to keep your composure, educate you and be an ally in the room.

Good luck, and again, don't worry about the vocational and/or medical expert. If you are truly in the condition that you are claiming, they will see it and testify in your favor. Think about an attorney if you don't have one. He/She would only boost your claim, organize and provide a well-documented, well-written report about your condition.
Patti_Christmas is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote