Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member
Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by waves View Post
Thanks Bizi.
i Maybe i'm not looking in the right places. Or maybe it is still very much in the private sector and i don't have visibility ... you have to know someone who knows someone...
Quote:
problem is the only person i can ask is my pdoc. this reveals that i am wishing to leave/unhappy with therapy. perhaps that would be a good thing to reveal. but not the part about looking around...
Waves,

You are right in thinking that DBT likely exists near you.
You have not yet found how to ask the right questions of the right people.

I don't think that my tdoc was formally trained in DBT. But she does a lot with mindfulness. If someone asked her if she does DBT, would probably say "no." If you asked her to do the following that you list, she could do most of i.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waves View Post
~~ . . . i need help with the pattern, not with getting out of an individual instance. sure, getting out in general can be a good thing to learn, but since i create the pattern. i also need to learn to create different (healthier), not keep repeating the same crap where i need emergency meds and emergency escape routes to escape my own prisons after i make them.

~~ . . . i want to work on how i feel about things rather than how i deal with a situation. for instance, i can "deal" with my teasing coworkers... i figure ignoring them will scoot them along to something more interesting. it took us 3/4 session to get here. i still have NO idea what to do about the FEELINGS that are evoked when these ppl tease. the feelings are about ME not about them, and my behavior towards THEM does control MY feelings. i got teased a lot and never ever learned, internally, to deal with it. INTERNALLY.
ONe thought I have is that your doc is not exactly doing CBT. Maybe you can look for a CBT person.
Here is a link for CBT:
http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/mentalhealt...ments/cbt.aspx

Quote:
When does CBT help?

CBT has been shown to help with many different types of problems. These include: anxiety, depression, panic, phobias (including agoraphobia and social phobia), stress, bulimia, obsessive compulsive disorder, post-traumatic stress disorder, bipolar disorder and psychosis. CBT may also help if you have difficulties with anger, a low opinion of yourself or physical health problems, like pain or fatigue.
How does it work?

CBT can help you to make sense of overwhelming problems by breaking them down into smaller parts. This makes it easier to see how they are connected and how they affect you. These parts are:

A Situation - a problem, event or difficult situation

From this can follow:

Thoughts
Emotions
Physical feelings
Actions

Each of these areas can affect the others. How you think about a problem can affect how you feel physically and emotionally. It can also alter what you do about it. There are helpful and unhelpful ways of reacting to most situations, depending on how you think about them.
Most of what you describe in your last two posts are exactly what Cognitive Behavioral Therapy does.

M
"Thanks for this!" says:
BlueCarGal (07-11-2011), Dmom3005 (07-10-2011), waves (07-10-2011)