View Single Post
Old 03-10-2007, 09:45 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi, just wanted to drop in and give you a few tips about IVIg. I had plenty. The headache can be rate related. Sometimes and not to scare you, patients can get what is called aseptic meningitis. So if Alan's headache, migraine continues you have to let the nurses, doctors know. Most likely it is the rate, if it is too fast, more likely side effects can occur. Are they checking his blood pressure? What you should find out, is what rate is safe for Alan. What does he tolerate without running into side effects.Don't let them run the I.V. too fast.If his headache went away, it is probably the rate may have been too fast.Also they usually pre-medicate with Benadryl also.

As for home care, my experience was not too great. Have your doctor write a rate per hour and if you can have it done on a pump. If you cannot get a pump and your neuro orders so and so amount in four hours, make sure that is what it is done in. I found most of the home care people , think if pulse and b/p are ok, bingo they can up the rate. Don't let them do that. Yes the nurse stays. Don't let them tell you different. They start the I.V. and remove it. Find out how many days the treatment is and for how long they leave the hep lock in. The drug company will deliver the meds and supplies. Most important is, find out the rate from the doctor, the brand, the amount in grams he is to get, if he is to get pre medicated with Benadryl and Tylenol.
IVIg can do wonders for people but it is to be given with care. Reactions can occur with different infusions or at different times.Most likely he is doing fine with it.

The people on the myasthenia forum know a lot about it too. You can always pop in there with questions also. Continue to be your husbands advocate. That is the best.

I do not post much but I get a kick out of your post. I get a kick out of your stories, I am in New York also and laugh of your stories of Brooklyn, etc. Best wishes,
GUMBY is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote