View Single Post
Old 07-11-2011, 12:37 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi netdude,

According to your post, the root canal is incomplete on tooth #5. The dentist has debrided and widened the visible canals and placed calcium hydroxide inside these spaces. The next visit would be to remove the CaOH2 and melt a rubberized material containing barium into these spaces. This material is called gutta percha ........and just for your information it is highly toxic and has a whole list of other negative issues. I'm giving you that information as a start to help you become better informed when making your decision.

It is not unusual for you to have continued pain in a non vital tooth simply because the bacteria from the tooth has proliferated into the bone which causes a referred pain that can feel like it's coming from the tooth and/or surrounding area... including the sinuses. The fact that the root canal is only partially done, is irrelevant. The bacteria will still be present inside of the tiny canals that are unaccessible and will continue to proliferate into the bone. Again, offering information to help you become better informed.

From your post, it sounds like tooth #3 may be in jeopardy also but it may just be tender from the inflammation from #5. IF the abutment crown on #3 fits well and #3 is healthy radiographically, perhaps the healthiest long term treatment option would be to have the dentist cut the bridge at the junction between tooth #3 and 4, leaving the abutment crown on tooth #3. Extract tooth #5 and allow the site to heal for several months, then re-evaluate the health and fit of the existing crown on tooth #3 at that time. IF #3 is ok, no infection, no swelling, crown fits well... then place an implant in #4 and 5 site
providing there is ample healthy bone and no sinus interference to functionally hold 2 implants. You may also have to put a new crown on #3.... all dependent on the DX at the re evaluation.

If you are missing teeth on the other side of your upper arch... then you may be a candidate for a removable partial denture to replace all of your missing upper teeth.

I know you have spent a lot of money on this area of your mouth. But be aware that you will continue to spend a lot more in trying to retain this tooth because the infection cannot be eradicated by completing the root canal or by taking antibiotics simply because of the bacteria is forever present in the microscopic canals.

Since the root canal was just recently performed... perhaps the endodontist would be willing to reimburse you a portion of his fee if you were to decide to have tooth #5 removed.

Please let us know how things are going......

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by netdude View Post
Bryanna
I am a 41 year old male with a bridge over 1 extracted tooth from 2 years ago. The bridge came off about 6 months ago while flossing under it. It was reattached by my dentist. Been experiencing pain in my front support tooth area for several months, about 2 weeks ago the pain got out of hand. Went to my dentist and was referred me to an Endodontic who performed a root canal on my tooth. He spoke in a manner in which I understood what was going to happen and I am very pleased with his professional mannerism along with his staff.

The pain and facial swelling went away and yet I still had some tender issues in my upper gum area. I was prescribed Pen VK as well as an 800mg ibuprofen and 1000mg Tylenol rotating every 3 hours. The last two days is I have noticed some discomfort while biting on my back support tooth. Today while washing my face I noticed some more pain in my sinus area down to the tooth. This is what had led me to find this thread while searching for an answer on sinus/teeth since I have had two sinus surgeries in the past.

Here is what was sent to my dentist:

Today we had the pleasure of meeting and evaluating XXXX for endodontic concerns associated with his upper right bridge in the #3-#5 position. After taking several angled PA’s, a BW, and performing all tests #5 renders of DX of necrotic/SAP. #3 IS tender to percuss and bite on but responds to cold testing within normal. We opted to treat only #5 today.

Under 2 carts of lido w/1:100000epi we opened through a porcelain abutment to discover a two canalled necrotic system. We shaped the P to 18mms w/F3 and the B to 19mms w/F3. The two join as one near the apical 4 mms. We used copious irrigation with endoactivation dried and placed CaOH2 into the system in order to disinfect over the next 30 days.

My question is now that the swelling and tenderness is increasing would the right course be to look at extracting and if so what does that leave for my back support tooth once the bridge is removed. I have spent over $2000 on this one area since my baby tooth extraction. Your response based on what I have laid out for you would be appreciated.
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote