View Single Post
Old 07-11-2011, 01:56 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

{{hugs}} I've btdt with having young children and experiencing my first seizures. I didn't have any neurological problems until I was in my mid 30s, with two children. My first seizure happened when my youngest was 18mo. For me (and another woman I came across), it happened around the time I was weaning my son, and it was a grand mal seizure. My guess is that it was related to the returning hormones combined with vulnerability. (My seizures *are* related to female hormones-"catamenial") (well, I should qualify that; they were for many years, but with increased stress load and a bad stretch of high stress, I am experiencing many more assorted problems that aren't only confined to a small monthly window) Any chance you can pinpoint during the month when you experience the symptoms? One tip I picked up from here was that progesterone only pills helped me, as mine were at the end of the month.

Driving laws are actually state-by-state, so it depends on what state you live in. Sometimes, it's a mandatory wait (like 6mo after last seizure); sometimes it's with a doctor's ok, etc. I understand your frustration a bit, as I've been in your place. It IS hard to parent and not be able to drive We take it for granted until we can't. The first time I couldn't drive, I lived in a suburb and couldn't get anywhere. The second time, I lived in a small town and had to bus around; would take me an hour to get just a few miles across town to my doctor. I can't imagine living out in the country.

If your husband works a lot, maybe stress is contributing? I know stress lowers my threshold. By a lot.
Friedbrain is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote