View Single Post
Old 07-12-2011, 08:13 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitt View Post
in research stages as there is always research going on. There are many, many types of CMT. They are finding more all of the time. Most all of the types are inherited. Sometimes there can be a spontaneous mutation but it is rare.

Symptoms of CMT can be evident when you are young, old, or in-between. Or they might not be that evident but a person can still pass it on. Symptoms vary greatly even within the same family. There is DNA blood testing for many types of CMT but not all of them.
My son was diagnosed with cerebral palsy when he was about 1 yr old. He had a hospital acquired systemic staph infection shortly after he was born which was thought to have possibly caused it. He is 38 yrs old, independent, mild cognitive deficits, severe speech impairment, partial paralysis of his vocal cords. He is strong and healthy, works part time. He never had a comprehensive neuro workup. He was seen as a young child and teen by neuros and we were basically told...move on with your life, nothing to do, which I guess really isn't bad advice. He has a progressive foot deformity since his mid 20's: clenched toes, hammer toes, wears his work boots out on the outer heel and back of the heel. We replace the work boot every 2 months. The arch looks strange. He has a wide base gait and slight limp like gait, and trips over his feet more than he should. As a child he walked on his toes. I might have ignored all of this had I not read these posts and looked for myself at the images of the feet. His internist just puts it all in the CP class.

Am I right that there is no simple blood test for CMT? I am interested in this because now 2 people in one nuclear family appear to have unusual neuro problems. I've been tested for everything. I do not fit the CMT profile because I have mild hyperreflexia (but my neuro says it could be from the disc herniations). I am going to bring this up with my doc, not for me, but I do not want him developing more problems as he gets older. He has compensated well and is is basically like a mature teenager. We have no other children. Am I over reacting?
JB63 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote