View Single Post
Old 07-12-2011, 03:16 PM
kittycapucine1974

kittycapucine1974

Hi, WolfLarsen:

I have had RSD in my left knee/leg since August 2001. Afterwards, I had an ingrown toenail in my left big toe several times, so many times I lost count. I had primary care doctors, emergency room physicians, podiatrists, and orthopedic surgeons operate on these ingrown toenails several times. Each time, my big toe received three to four injections for local anesthesia.

Usually, the doctor would only remove the part of the nail that was ingrown. When the nail would grow back, the grown back part of the nail would not "adhere" to the non removed part of the nail. As a result, the nail did not look like a normal nail. The grown back part of the nail would, after a while and little by little, partially detach itself from the non removed part of the nail. This piece of partially detached nail, hanging on to the toe by one of its end, would always get caught to clothes, such as trousers, socks... One day, I went fishing in the lagoon. While sitting on the boat, I let my left foot soak in the sea for hours. Then, luckily, I was able to remove the partially detached piece of nail.

Once, when I had one ingrown toenail in the same toe again, the podiatrist offered to remove the whole nail, which I accepted. He also offered to put some product (I do not remember its name) on the nail bed so the nail would not grow back. I refused because I was afraid the nail bed would be too sensitive to touch without a nail to protect it. So the podiatrist only removed the part of the nail that was ingrown. Then the things I mentioned in the previous paragraph happpened again.

Now that I think about it, it seems to me that only my left toes (from the left RSD leg) would get ingrown toenails. Is this a coincidence or are people with RSD at higher risk of getting ingrown toenails? I do not know. Fortunately for me, all these operations never caused my RSD to flare up. I have to admit I would always take narcotic painkillers stronger than Vicodin (which does not work at all for me) to try to prevent RSD flare ups.

Quote from WolfLarsen: "The other advises killing off the little bit of troublemaking nail on the edge at the root so it wont grow back, using the caustic chemical phenol." This is a decision only you can make, knowing fully the risks and possible advantages of this option.

Good luck, WolfLarsen!

Priscilla
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote