View Single Post
Old 07-12-2011, 07:10 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Lightbulb Dietary Supplement Fact Sheet: Magnesium

The following site from National Institutes of Health seems to provide some good and complete information on magnesium. I recently began taking magnesium chloride and it has reduced my pain level. I believe it is better to get your magnesium from food (plant) sources, since you get all the other good things in plants, but this is of course more work and possibly more expensive.

National Institutes of Health
Office of Dietary Supplements
Dietary Supplement Fact Sheet: Magnesium
http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/magnesium/

Quotable quotes:

"Magnesium is needed for more than 300 biochemical reactions in the body. It helps maintain normal muscle and nerve function, keeps heart rhythm steady, supports a healthy immune system, and keeps bones strong. Magnesium also helps regulate blood sugar levels, promotes normal blood pressure, and is known to be involved in energy metabolism and protein synthesis [2-3]. There is an increased interest in the role of magnesium in preventing and managing disorders such as hypertension, cardiovascular disease, and diabetes. Dietary magnesium is absorbed in the small intestines. Magnesium is excreted through the kidneys [1-3,4]."

"Green vegetables such as spinach are good sources of magnesium because the center of the chlorophyll molecule (which gives green vegetables their color) contains magnesium. Some legumes (beans and peas), nuts and seeds, and whole, unrefined grains are also good sources of magnesium [5]."

"In a study that compared four forms of magnesium preparations, results suggested lower bioavailability of magnesium oxide, with significantly higher and equal absorption and bioavailability of magnesium chloride and magnesium lactate [30]."

I came across this page while researching the best form of magnesium to take. I still don't know for sure, but it seems like magnesium citrate and magnesium lactate are decent ones, and magnesium oxide is not such a good one.

*** If you are in the know, please share with us what are the best forms, with regards to absorption, low side effects, and cost. ***

I am using magnesium chloride (Alta brand) for now, but found that when I mixed it with my other pills, the mag. pills flaked apart, attacked my evening primrose gel capsules, and produced a bad smell. So I don't mix them anymore. Also they are not coated so they can taste bad if you don't get them far enough back in the mouth. Anyway, my 2c.

Electron
Electron is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote