15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member

Ron,
what is a tight junction?

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronhutton View Post
I received an email from a Tom Musgrove, who has just written a book on the BBB theory, saying,

"Hi Ron,
just thought you'd like to know that you were right about tight junction leakiness being involved. I solved all of the neurological disorders with a tight junction permeability theory of disease,

I didn't encounter your theory of tight junction related to parkinson's till after I'd already developed my theory.
Here is the dime tour of my complete theory"

"The core of the theory is that damage/dysfunction of the tight junctions of the blood brain barrier (and other tight junctions such as those surrounding innervation to organs) results in nutrients that are actively transported across the BBB 'leaking out' of the Interstitial Fluid (ISF) back to the blood. This includes many components needed for the synthesis of of key neurotransmitters (particularly L-DOPA/dopamine/epinephrine/norepinephrine the 'dopamine path' and melatonin/serotonin + creatine/adenosine path) mylenation
(biotin) and protection/repair of oxidative damage (Glutathione). This results in a biosynthesis path deficiency which is often comorbid with a blood deficiency of the relevant nutrients. The pattern of and intensity of the damage (as well as timing) and degree of deficiency determines the particular neurological disease and pathology encountered.

His book is at

http://www.amazon.com/Junction-Perme.../dp/B005BU9VZO

I have been posting about the idea of a damaged Blood brain barrier for many years. Whether this author is correct in saying he did not see my posts until after he developed the theory, we will never know. At least my posts predate his book. He says,
"It might take more than a year for me to get my Nobel prize, how annoying".
I am not interested in recognition or Nobel prizes, I posted openly in the hope that more research would be done on the theory of a defective BBB. At least his book will add to the call for research in this area.
Ron

"Time is not neutral for those who have pd or for those who will get it."
paula_w is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote