View Single Post
Old 07-13-2011, 06:58 AM
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

Just thought of something else. I have a friend who was dependably late, everywhere, every day, every appointment, etc. It was beginning to cause so rifts in her relationships.

She discovered her problem was what you mentioned, focus. She would get up two hours before she had to leave for work, but if the phone rang, she answered it. If she saw a project, she'd work on it "...just for a few minutes." If she noticed something that needed attention, she took care of it. And she ended up trying to pack three hours worth of "stuff" into two hours.

What she had to do (took a LOT of discipline) was make a written list of what she had to do in the morning, being realistic about the time involved. And then she had to force herself not to do ANYTHING that wasn't on the list unless it was literally a matter of life and death.

Eventually her family and friends stopped calling her between 5:30 and 7:30 because they knew she wasn't going to answer the phone. It was rough at first, and she had to say out loud sometimes, "I'm NOT going to do that now!" No glancing through a catalog on the table, no combing the dog, no checking to see if her shows DVR'd, whatever. Just the list.

Eventually she got into better habits and didn't need the list. But she used it for a long time.

By the way:

**My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. (Psalm 73:26)
Blessings2You is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dejibo (07-13-2011), ewizabeth (07-13-2011), Twinkletoes (07-16-2011), Vonn07 (07-13-2011)