In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dawson View Post
Paula said:
"I was once a speech pathologist. This isn't going away."
Paula, Did you get a second opinion on that?
Has it been awhile since you were on the other side of the speech pathology divide, helping others for what you yourself now need help with? Maybe there has been new research.

Does anybody out there know?
The devices and apps, yes, but also it would be good to have someone with an overview of speech research and where it is headed.

If there has been any new information or research, it is unlikely to be coming from anything to do with Parkinson's, as speech therapy, for example, would not involve pharmaceuticals, and Parkinson's is still widely defined as a chemical problem requiring a chemical solution, which does not involve the patient beyond swallowing the pills.

But perhaps outside of the Parkinson's game where we all have to chase-our-tails-in-circles, there may have been advances in speech pathology that we have not heard about, because we only find out about Parkinson's.

Is there anyone out there who has a wide awareness of what is going on in the field of speech pathology or therapy? Someone able to say, this worked, this didn't; the research is now looking at what? Especially outside of the Parkinson's Reservation. Is there some other tribe who have found ways to keep on talking? Or is it something that, as Paula says, just ain't going away.

As much as we talk about theory in here I tend to ignore the practical. I have just learned that some of the devices are medicare approved. A bit of good news. Thanks Bob it might be because i quit out of the sheer boredom of doing the same thing over and over that created a natural aversion of getting it myself. Again, not practical. Thanks for the support... it's greatly appreciated

"Time is not neutral for those who have pd or for those who will get it."
paula_w is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote