View Single Post
Old 03-11-2007, 07:05 AM
----

15 yr Member
----

15 yr Member
Red face

CTenaLouise

That was good, but sometimes it's upsetting to me to watch people close out the world around them when they really should be paying attention.

I've been watching a pattern for years now on an American Indian board. Outsiders with good intentions (either to convert to Christianity or learn "how to be an Indian") are not greeted kindly. The response from the outsider is usually the accusation that they don't know God or don't know how to be good Indians.

The problem isn't with the Indians. It's a news board for Indians to get together and talk about the issues and everyday life on and off the reservation. It's a place for them to get away from all the people in the real world who are trying to convert them to Christianity, trying to learn how to be a "Shaman," or consider them savages.

The problem is the outsiders didn't listen to what the Indians had to say when they explained why they were so angry. The outsiders closed them out of their minds.

As a result, the Christians AND New Agers go away thinking that Indians are savages. The Indians continue on in pain and anger, and often take it out on each other because the outsider ran away after causing all the chaos.

This is extremely upsetting to me. I can't just turn my back on this because it would mean I'd have to turn my back on Christians, New Agers, and everything having to do with this country

Any ideas?