Thread: PCS & Dizziness
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2011, 11:44 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Follow up from Dr.

The doctor told me that I could have dizziness and other post-concussive symptoms for up to 2-1/2 years.

He said that time is really the only thing that can heal it. Because I don't and have never had any vertigo, he doesn't think it's an inner ear thing, so he wouldn't refer me to an ENT. He did write a referral to a head injury clinic in Calgary to see another neurologist. However, he said that since I only had a mild head injury and that the clinic decides if it's worth seeing a referral, they may not even agree to see me.

Also, because I don't have any vertigo he doesn't think that the vestibular physiotherapy I've been doing will have any effect.

I asked him about osteopaths and craniosacral massage therapy and he thought it was a scam. He said there's no evidence that the cranial bones can move after you're 2 years old. He did say that the risk of side effects is pretty low. He said that some people will feel better, but it is a placebo. Anyway, I'll keep my osteopath appointment for this Thursday, since I've got $500 with benefits for it. But, at $100 a visit, it won't last long.

He mentioned that acupuncture might help, but that it's very likely it won't.

So, he said I can try physiotherapy, and craniosacral massage and acupuncture and somewhere along that line I might get better. But, if I do get better, he said it's probably more a result of time than any particular treatment or therapy.

I should hear from his office or the head injury clinic fairly soon about if I've got an appointment and when it is.

In the meantime, I'll start with the Osteopath and see where that goes.

The physiotherapist said to continue with the exercises until they are easy to do and then come in to see her again. I guess I'll do that and see where I am in a couple of weeks.
Airmaster is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote