View Single Post
Old 07-14-2011, 07:19 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

This is interesting. My son uses theanine for anxiety and likes it.
He uses Sun brand. I think theanine is pretty benign and worth trying.
There is a small amount in my melatonin from Schiff that I take.

I find that Dextromethorphan can have a positive effect too. I use it in sometimes when I have sinus problems. I use a product called Mucus relief cough, to help with sinus congestion since I cannot take decongestants because of my blood pressure. The DM stops the dry cough from the sinus drip at night. But I found over the years it helps with PN too. Mucus relief cough is similar to expensive Mucinex DM, and I purchase it at WalMart. It is about $7.00 for 60 tablets and often I just use 1/2 of that so they last me a long time.

I'd think carefully about long term minocycline though...it is not harmless.
It used to be commonly used for acne control, but is less so now I guess because of the risks of intercranial hypertension (pseudotumor cerebri).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minocycline

Here is a listing of side effects reported to the FDA in chart form:
http://www.drugcite.com/?q=minocycline

The precautions and side effects of minocycline can be found here:
http://www.rxlist.com/minocin-capsules-drug.htm
minocycline may cause less bowel disruption, but it is still capable of causing colitis. And the thyroid cancer implications are sobering.

Minocycline does have some anti-inflammatory actions and I've seen it and tetracycline used for carpal tunnel patients in the past.

The antioxidant suggestions are good. I think this would be the first thing to try, as it is fairly safe and effective in some cases. If you get curcumin, buy one with enhanced absorption.

I might try the Theanine when I get back from vacation. My son really likes it. He has ADHD and glutamate is a player in that condition too.

And this new information reiterates, that PNers should avoid MSG (monosodium glutamate)...which does excite neurons! This is everywhere in processed foods.

Thanks for the article...I like Dr. Blaylock very much. I've watched many of his YouTubes.

There are drugs in the pipeline called ampykines, which were supposed to target glutamate and reduce its over expression.
I wonder why we haven't heard about them lately? hmmmm?

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote