View Single Post
Old 07-14-2011, 10:59 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyoun1e View Post
Emmie,

Did you ever have this done? What was the outcome? Has anyone else had this done?

I'd like to learn more about this. If I find out that my compression is not due to any bony abnormality, cervical rib, etc. and it's mainly due to scalene muscle hypertrophy as part of my training regiment, maybe it's possible to "shrink" the muscle in this way and remove the compression without going in and trimming it away.

KY
As far as my doctor told me, for neurogenic TOS, the primary cause is perineural fibrosis(Sp?) at a physical level and an upregulation of ion channels in the nerve cells at the more microbiological level. The scalenes are a secondary cause.

I have not had botox but I have had another type of injection procedure with excellent results and it's much cheaper as the drug used is generic rather than the expensive botox. The drug was heparin and it gives about an 85% pain reduction for a month or two. One should still be careful about irritating activites on it as reducing irritating activites and PT are the actual things that bring down a flare.

A new drug epo which is in the same class has a 6month effect and seems to be somewhat curative. That techniques is still in clinical trials so it's not generally available

Heparin, however, is starting to become well known. One of my pain doctors who is a professor at top medical school said at the last pain conference he went to everyone was discussing this more details can be found in these papers

http://www.doctorellis.com/publications3.html

Heparin did help the one person I know with very advanced TOS with nerve death on electrodiagnostics

I have heard of one case of RSD from this injections but I think that is a risk of injections in general, not of this particular procedure
lisa_tos is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote