View Single Post
Old 07-15-2011, 01:39 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Heart

Thanks, Alice, for posting this.

When I had my crisis, I should've had a Bi-Pap. My O2 saturation was dropping to 66% while I was sleeping. But they were wholly incapable of dealing with an MG crisis. Like when they did my arterial blood gases; one while on oxygen and one right after I took it off. They saw the "hyperventilation" and chalked it up to anxiety. I'm always calm and never "anxious." Being on oxygen while having an ABG is like eating a hot fudge sundae before getting your glucose checked!

When I finally made it to urgent care, because my O2 saturation was not going up from 93%, I couldn't squeeze the doctor's fingers during the neuro exam. I "thought" I was squeezing them really hard. Sometimes the weakness can come on so slowly that you don't notice it. I highly recommend an oximeter so you can know your normal. And if you are doing worse, look in the mirror at your face, try to breath in and out into a peak flow meter, squeeze your hands, etc.

I sure didn't want to admit that I was on my way to a crisis and I think that's also a part of the problem. Who wants to be in a hospital? I'd rather do anything else. But you are right that getting help as soon as possible can help you avoid a full blown crisis. And the worse MG gets, the longer it takes to recover.

My average MIP in the hospital was -24. Yeah, that's "normal," right? Knowing what your normal is can help combat ignorance by hospital staff. My normal is in the -80's, so I was at 1/4 of my normal. It's not only how low but how far down you go!

There sure is a lot to consider with this disease. It's nice that people here have so much to contribute to each other. Yes, Alice, that does give me hope.

Annie
AnnieB3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
alice md (07-17-2011)