View Single Post
Old 03-11-2007, 10:39 AM
In Memorium

15 yr Member
In Memorium

15 yr Member
Default Biopsy

Melody -

No - its not necessary to get sural nerve biopsy unless spcific conditions are suspected - they did mine because I had a super rapid progression of the PN and suspected vascilturs or amyloid- the procedure itself - depending on the doc - shouldnt hurt - but its important to have doc who has experience if you do get it done... they took mine out of the back of my calf - and the severe numbness all down the right side of my leg and foot is severe as a result - you could stick a fork in it and I'd never know - thats not going away (its been 5 years) - also, the incision heals in about a week - a few stiches - no big deal - but I and I know lots of others have had residual shooting pains around the incision that also dont seem to go away.

It did show the doctors at the time that my PN was severe, and exactly the type of nerve damage done - ruled out vasilitus and that amyloid biopsy came up clear - but they are still looking in other organs for it...

My current doc ordered by IVIG based on a combo of the damage he saw on the biopsy and the NCS/EMG's...... I dont think the sural nerve biopsy was the clincher.....

If your insurance is already paying for the IVIG - unless the docs suspect something else really serious - I'd really think about it.... Alan seems to do so well already - why rock the boat?

Agree with others - get lots of opinions as to WHY????????

Best wishes....
BEGLET is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote