View Single Post
Old 07-15-2011, 09:45 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrotexan26 View Post
I'm so sorry you're having to deal with this! I just went through the same type of ordeal. Since the first part of June I started having horrible headches, dizziness, nausea, and later problems with short term memory, neck pain, etc..I went to ER twice before getting in to see my neurosurgeon and they told me the ventricles were slightly dilated. The NS said they were like 3x dilated what they were in January and ordered a shuntogram and said he was going to most likely do surgery to replace shunt after that test. Well there was a mix up between the dr's office and hospital that was to do the shuntogram and they could not get me in until the next week. Ok, not normally a biggie but the dr was going on vacation for 2 weeks! Over that period of time my symptoms kept getting worse. I finally got int to see the dr July 1 after being in pain for a month and unable to work. He explained that my shunt was working but b/c of the buildup in my ventricles it was not working to its full capacity. He explained that I had a fixed pressure valve that was not maintaining the change in pressure. So, he finally replaced it last Thursday (July 7) with a programmable shunt valve. Supposedly he can change pressure settings in his office without having to go in and replace shunt. He just did the valve part, left the tubing since it was still working. I'm feeling so much better this week, with the exception of some weakness and tiredness. I hope you can get some answers! I totally know what you are going through. I called and my mom called the dr's office trying to get in sooner. I even asked if I could see one of my dr's colleages but they said "They do not share dr's." Really??!! Anyway, it's behind me now but I hope you get some relief soon.
You're so lucky that your neurosurgeon actually listened to you, I get nauseous and my neck is sore too and the headaches are just getting worse thanks fir the reply though maybe when I see my neurosurgeon again I can ask her about getting a programmable shunt
FutureMrsBieber is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote