View Single Post
Old 03-11-2007, 01:30 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupin View Post
...My Dr and the Neuro I saw a week ago thing it is all anxiety related. I suppose it could be as I have been very anxious since all these weird things have started happening to my body.
I think that "anxiety" is the ultimate cop-out for incompetent and/or lazy doctors. Many of us here have had that label put on us, but I can't recall anybody in three PN forums whose PN got better from psychotherapy. Invariably, a physical basis to the PN is found. Here are some interesting questions for Dr. Quack and Dr. Neuro Tic to try to establish the basis for their diagnosis of "anxiety":

- There is a difference between anxiety and neurotic anxiety. Anxiety during an armed robbery is not neurotic, and neither is anxiety about serious chronic health conditions

Neurotic anxiety, on the other hand, is irrational and maladaptive. Examples are phobias, extreme social insecurity, extreme foreboding about the future. Even if you have a clinically diagnosed neurotic anxiety, I don't think there is any evidence that it can cause PN or bladder problems.

- Did you have a complete psychiatric or psychological examination to establish anxiety? If not, what is the basis for their diagnosis?

- What tests were run to establish that there is no autonomic neuropathy in the bladder area? I'd wager none.

- PN can cause serious bowel and bladder problems. See http://www.emedicinehealth.com/bladd...article_em.htm .You can check goggled sources at http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...y+&btnG=Search. If the symptoms fit, maybe your doctor can explain why you have those symptoms, an established aspect of PN and how they could have been unaware of such a linkage.

- You need and deserve effective physicians who treat you with respect. A decent primary care physician can steer you to a competant and caring urologist.

- I hope you change your user profile to always display the location where you live (use the "User CP" button on the horizontal menu near the top of the page, then click on "Edit Profile"). This will enable others in your area to recommend doctors to you. Nobody is interested in your real name and address, just the general area. Switching physicians in or near a metropolitan area is a lot easier than in rural Podunk. Wherever you live, there may be another forum member living in the same area who could help steer you toward decent medical care and other local resources.

- You're not alone and you're not helpless, even in the face of doctors who bully you. This forum is a valuable resource you can use to empower and enlighten yourself, and actions you can take to become healthier.