View Single Post
Old 07-18-2011, 06:11 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Well, Abby, this antibody BS is getting ridiculous. A friend of ours, who is in her 80's but doing well, has had two positive MG antibody tests (binding). Mayo did the 2nd one. She has Lymes too. They are chalking it up to the Lymes. Lymes does not cause MG antibodies! I know why they're doing it, because she can't tolerate Mestinon and can't do immunotherapy due to previous skin cancer. And, well, you know, IVIG is too expensive and why throw that money away on someone who is old.

Lymes is painful but it won't kill you like MG can. This issue is making me completely nuts. And no one would DARE question a Mayo doctor. Well, except for me, that is. And probably a few of you guys!

Annie

Shalynn, Yes, there are more "areas" in the neuromuscular junction that are open for "attack." Titin and Ryanodine are only two of the many posibilities. A lot of people are working on figuring it out. Good luck with the MuSK test.

Tracy, I have to wonder if IVIG flushes out the antibodies from their NMJ hidey-holes. Therefore making them available for the blood test (instead of hanging out in your tissues).
AnnieB3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote