Thread: taste buds
View Single Post
Old 07-19-2011, 07:14 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooberoobu View Post
Okay, so weird question. Does anyone has issues with taste or lack of interest in eating? Nothing looks good when I look in the refrigerator or drive around town in search of the perfect restaurant. I use to eat like a pig, eating large quantities and snacking constantly. Now, I rarely eat my entire meal or snack, and truly do not care if I eat or not. I can't say that I do not get hungry, its that food doesn't seem to be my friend these days?

Am I completely strange, or is this something that others have dealt with? BTW, i am okay with being strange! )

Jennie/gooberoobu
I am not sure if this answers your question,

One of the first symptoms I had was that I lost interest in food. I didn't realize at the time that I was having significant chewing and swallowing difficulties. I also thought I had a viral infection or weird allergy, because I would start coughing every time I drank some water, or tried to eat a juicy fruit. Even when I lost a significant amount of weight I didn't realize how much less I was eating.

When I told this, at some point to a speech therapist with a lot of experience with MG, she said it was not at all unusual not to understand that you are having such problems, if the symptoms progress slowly. Mostly, that its not that you can't swallow or chew, its just that you can't do it for long. and for someone with no previous experience with such symptoms it can be very confusing.
alice md is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote