View Single Post
Old 07-20-2011, 07:56 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
So you have had cancer twice? Did you have chemo?

Chemo causes PN..in many patients. There are supplements for this, to target the damaged mitochondria. At a late stage, they may be less effective, but I would try them at least.

I have a post about this in the PN subforum... the supplement thread.
I am taking the supplements you recommended, started 2 weeks ago. Trying to help those mitochondria along.

In 1996 I had a modified radical mastectomy and lymph node dissection on the left, stage 2, clean nodes. Chemo was Cytoxin, Methotrexate and 5 FU, I think it was 6 cycles. 2005 I had a right segmental mastectomy. Chemo: Adriamycin, cytoxin 6 cycles followed by 12 cycles of taxotere, 6 weeks of radiation for a new primary that was stage 1, clean nodes. I believe the Taxotere is what is at the bottom of this. I only found one clinical study involving long term survivors Txere and neuropathy. There was some contoversy among my docs about whether to do 12, as 7 or 8 cycles were what they were doing back then. 12 was considered "over kill". I see my oncologist on Aug 3rd to specifically discuss the long term effects. I am glad he did what he did, as I am still here with no cancer signs.

I am sure I do not need to tell you how sick I got on the taxotere, worse then the adriamycin. I had profound weakness, eye problems, barely walk, could not climb stairs, buzzed all the time (I still do). Took Cymbalta for a while. Chemo probably had something to do with the Grave's Disease as well.

Last edited by JB63; 07-20-2011 at 07:58 AM. Reason: wrong wording
JB63 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
mrsD (07-20-2011)