View Single Post
Old 07-21-2011, 10:05 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Weird bipolor

Hi everyone, just wanted to post on this bipolar thread and see if anyone has ever heard of a case such as mine.

I'm 56 now and I've had a major depression every 10 years since I was 25. Major where I couldn't sleep, lost significant weight and wanted to die (suicidal thoughts) for much of the depression. Hospitalization required.

The end of 2010 started another depression which lasted about 5-6 months. The doc subscribed remeron which he said would help me sleep and give me back my appetite. This worked, I gained all of my weight back but I also went into a significant (2.5 weeks) mania stage where I needed hospitalization.

They took me off of the remeron and put me on lithium and seroquel which definately leveled me out.

My question is, how uncommon is it to become bipolar at age 56, or have I been bipolar all along, just without major mania?????

I am really gleaning a lot from the board, thanks for those that contribute so much.
"Thanks for this!" says:
bizi (07-26-2011), BlueCarGal (07-31-2011), Mari (07-21-2011), waves (07-23-2011)