View Single Post
Old 07-22-2011, 06:03 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi ~ I'm sure you ARE discouraged!! Unfortunately, like the doc says, there are no guarantees that this will help. Surgery is for mechanical problems; it is NOT for pain. Your doctor should have told you that.

I've had 2 open surgeries and neither one worked. I've been in chronic pain for over 25 years -- and YES, it does wear one down.

You are EARLY in the healing process -- a lot of "trauma" was done in there, and the tissues have to heal from that. It can take awhile -- for instance, nerves heal at the average rate of one inch per month. So it can take a good long time for healing to take place.

Plus the fact that your job entails that you drive so far and also have to SIT for prolonged periods of time is NOT beneficial to your problem!!! Sitting and standing for long periods is NOT recommended for spinal patients. I couldn't find a job where I could lay down, so I went on Social Security Disability! Plus i had trouble walking anyway.

It's hard to say if you'll get better -- only time will tell. I know it's hard being patient when you're in so much pain. You won't even know if you're fusing until about the 6 month to one year time span! But I think I would wait and TRY to go back to work -- at least see if you can do it. If your pain isn't improved by the time you're ready to go back to work, I'd go back to the surgeon and ask for a CT scan to make sure things are OK.

I wish you much healing & pain relief -- I know how awful this is. Please keep us posted on your progress, ok? God bless & take care. Hugs, Lee
recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;severe depression; 2 open spinal surgeries; severe sciatica since 1986; epidurals; trigger points; myelograms; Rhizotomy; Racz procedure; spinal cord stimulator implant (and later removal); morphine pump trial (didn't work);now inoperable; lumpectomy; radiation; breast cancer survivor; heart attack; fibromyalgia; on disability.

Often the test of courage is not to die, but to live..
.................................................. ...............Orestes
Leesa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote