View Single Post
Old 07-24-2011, 06:43 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr0604 View Post
Hi there. I posted the other day about my 8-month old receiving a shunt. This was his 5th surgery, the first 4 were embolizations for an AV malformation. This is all new to me and I just need someone to talk to or to be able to ask questions. It is very encouraging to read the posts from some of y'all who have had shunts for most of your life. ...I just feel like I really can't find information, everytime I read up on shunts...it's just the technical aspects of it. I know about shunt failures and shunt revisions, etc. ...but I guess I'm just curious, is there anything my son won't be able to do due to his shunt? What should we be careful of? Will he be able to lead a normal life? I want to be able to have these answers for him and for me. I'm sorry if i'm rambling....I guess I'm just looking for some guidance.
I have been very fortunate with my shunt, I am 22 and have had shunts since birth. My parents were told when I was a baby that I would probably never lead a normal life, and yet here I am! I am currently studying a university degree in Psychology and have never let my shunt hold me back. I did all the things that 'normal' kids did when I was growing up, I played hockey, I fell out of trees, I rode a bike.....Shunts are extremely resilient things, they are made to handle the knocks and bumps of life.
While every child is different most kids with shunts lead a completely normal life. If you ever have any questions I would be happy to help where I can, as I know everyone else on here will too.
Best of luck with everything!
gizzy_gal is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote