View Single Post
Old 07-24-2011, 08:12 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Any lawyers out there - about to take the bar

Hi all! I'm a newbie. I got a concussion when I fell off my horse the day of the Derby (ironic, right?). I graduated law school this spring, and am taking the bar next week. I know I'm going to fail. I attended all the lectures for my bar prep class, but could barely focus to study. Actually, I've realized that I barely remember May and June. I'm feeling pretty good now. When I study now I do ok for short periods of time. My problem is just that it's too late. I think I can handle the 3 days of testing (I'm doing PA and NJ), but I simply don't know the material well enough.

I understand logically that of course I will have problems with academics after being dropped on my head! I'm a good student. I had a full ride to law school, so no fears on my ability to pass. And I can take the test again in the winter when I'm better. I have a clerkship, so my job is not dependant on passing. But how do I explain the situation to my new employer, and what will my next employer think if I fail the bar? (the clerkship is a one year position). My employer knows that I had a concussion and a broken hand. But I'm finding many people just don't get it. How do I explain to them that I'm not stupid or a slacker if I fail?
Chipster is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote