View Single Post
Old 07-24-2011, 10:26 AM
BlueCarGal

BlueCarGal

Default Caution: Juicing can be addictive!

My doc suggested juicing for a number of health reasons. I borrowed a fairly good one from a friend for about a week, liked it, & bought an Omega online for under $200. Last year I upgraded to a Green Star & am very happy with it.

Recipes abound on the web. I use Bing, not Google, for this search. MrsD is right about seeds: either research them carefully, or to be safe remove them. Same with skin, actually.

I love juicing because I'm healthier, it makes eating easier, etc. At first the prep can be overwhelming, but you can get used to that. You'll be getting unprocessed food, & pretty much every digestive system will do better on that.

The biggest difference in juicers regards fiber. A good juicer let's you decide how much fibre you want. Cheap juicers tend to throw it mostly out. Also cheap juicers aren't designed to take on a full range of veggies, which are quite simply more rugged overall than most fruits. They aren't easily cleaned & they don't last. My neighbor bought a $500 juicer 12 yrs ago when she was dx cancer & considers it just well broken in.

Good luck & happy juicing. Just be forewarned: The prep time for a really balanced juice can be as much as for a regular meal.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote