Thread: I can't talk
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2011, 11:30 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Good point on the DBS risks

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegleg View Post
paula said: yes i seriously thought about a DBS and it's been recommended for a long time

Don't you remember how garbled most people's voice gets who have had DBS??? They don't tell people that little tidbit very often. Remember how your voice sounded when you talked into the wind of a blowing fan? That's just starters of how DBS alters your voice. Oh, and balance often gets worse.

If you want to possibly sacrifice your voice (it doesn't always happen), then go for the DBS. There are many benefits in doing so. But my voice is all I've got - and I'm not ready to give it up just yet!
My voice is already PD soft at times off meds but more problematic is the rapid fire hypomanic speech from too many meds. I can actually get physical therapy to help with that but the garbled speech risk scares me. My handwriting is already unintelligible; I can't even read it. It looks like the invented writing of a preschooler or like I am using a Runic alphabet. I would be devastated to have my voice follow suit.

Where does a person turn next? We can't walk but can dance. We can't talk or write but maybe we can rap? Or we turn to morse code and semaphores...

Laura
Conductor71 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
pegleg (07-25-2011)