View Single Post
Old 07-25-2011, 11:44 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Plex First Treatment

Hello all,

Just finished my first plasmapheresis treatment and as SueV said, the anticipation was much worse than the actual procedure. It took about 1 1/2 hours and the only uncomfortable part was getting started. They were able to use the veins in my arms and actually put some numbing cream on first before inserting the needles. That was the first I had ever known that was possible. What a wonderful thing.

Once they started the procedure, the needle in my right arm started feeling uncomfortable. It was the intake side and left side was the output side. They switched the input/output sides and adjust the needle in my right arm just a little. They indicated that sometimes the needle can touch nerve when inserted.

Otherwise, I felt no discomfort and the time went by pretty quickly. I did have a little bit of tingling in my upper lip at the end which is an indication of a decrease of calcium. The nurse had already given me an infusion of calcium, but just a couple of Tums seemed to releave the problem. I take a high dosage of calcium daily because of the medications that I am on anyway.

I was a little weak when I first got up, but I always have a problem with stiffness after I sit for a long period of time. I'm due for my second procedure on Friday and I'm not at all concerned. They encourage you to drink alot of fluids before and between each treatment especially if they are using your veins to keep you hydraded but this morning I didn't drink too much and made sure I used the restroom before the procedure and had on my trusty Depends just in case. But I didn't have a problem at all.

I hope all who have this procedure have the same success as I did.

My best to all,
Southern Bell
Southern Bell is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
pingpongman (07-25-2011), suev (07-25-2011)