View Single Post
Old 07-26-2011, 10:17 AM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty View Post
It'll be fine. Just let them have their "moment".....I know it's frustrating because they're messing with the most vulnerable population of people. But, it would be devastating to either party to be the one that "let it happen". All they're trying to do is hold out till the 11th hour and then miraculously make a deal and each side will take credit for it. It's so predictable....... It's hard to watch grownups behaving like this.
And I just came from around the corner. I live in a very Italian populated neighborhood with lots of Older people.

I was walking, bumped into some people I know and said "did you listen to the President last night?" They said "why, what did he say?"

I said 'Well, he spoke about the debt ceiling and indicated that there might not be enough money for the Social Security checks to go out on the 3rd"

One person said "Oh, that doesn't apply to me, I get my check on the 27th"

Another person said "what do you mean he won't send out the checks"? HE WON'T SEND OUT THE CHECKS???"

I simply explained what is going on in Congress and they all looked at me and said 'oh, that only affects the old people right?"

I said 'no, it does NOT only affect the old people". If we default on our debts, everything will go up because our Triple A credit rating will be affected, the dollar won't be worth anything, people can't pay their rent, which means landlords can't pay the mortgages, which means the credit card interest rates will go up, blah blah blah"

They all looked at me and said "He can do this??"

I said "He's the president, and right now, he's locked in a debate with the Speaker of the House about which plan is the better plan and it looks like a stalemate"

Again, they all looked at me and said "What happens if the checks don't go out"?

I said "I just explained this to you"

Everybody then yelled

"THIS CAN'T HAPPEN, THIS IS AMERICA!!!!!" They can't do that to us!!!

I just left them debating this. I had to come home and get a drink of water because no one seems to think there is a possibility that this can happen.

And the sad part is no one understands WHAT is happening.

Look at what my Aunt said:

"oh, this doesn't apply to me, I get my check via direct deposit"

I reiterate!!!!

"Good Lord"

If this comes to no good and the people FINALLY understand what is happening, I predict a riot of unknown proportions.

We shall just wait and see.

Let's keep fingers and toes crossed.

Melody

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

"Thanks for this!" says:
Dmom3005 (07-29-2011)