View Single Post
Old 07-27-2011, 08:40 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Default Absence Seizures

Has anyone had these.....or know anything about them?

I've been having strange "episodes" recently and wonder if it's some type of mild seizure. DS asked me the other night while we were watching TV if I was okay. Apparently I was starring off - not looking directly at the TV - and just sort of seemed lost in thought. I do not remember this.

I've noticed that I can sit and read for a while but at some point I stop reading and just sit and stare. Probably no longer than 30 seconds to a minute but I don't realize I'm doing it until I "come out of it" and find myself just sitting on the couch with my book in my lap. I'm not confused nor have I found myself wandering around.

I've also noticed that I can be walking through the living room and stop to watch something on the television (I usually lean up against the back of the recliner while doing this) and I'll realize after a little while (seconds or minutes....I don't know) that I'm not even watching the TV but just starring at the wall or the floor but not directly "at" anything in particular.

This is strange and is worrisome to me. I don't feel "out of it" or like I've lost my bearings or anything. I just sort of "check out" momentarily. While I'm at home this seems fairly benign but what concerns me is what if I'm not at home and I do this? What if I'm driving to the store? I hardly ever drive anymore but will go around the corner to the drug store or the grocery store. That's about the extent of my driving and never when my vision is compromised.

Am I just inventing stuff to worry about or if this really a problem for anyone else?
These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
Kitty is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
dmplaura (07-28-2011), DVORA65 (08-26-2011), Jodylee (07-27-2011), SallyC (07-27-2011), TwoKidsTwoCats (07-28-2011)