View Single Post
Old 07-27-2011, 09:10 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

So, the revision was performed in Dec of 2010. At this time, a laminectomy was performed so that the placement of the paddle would be permanent, preventing migration and improving coverage to the right leg and foot only.

To date, the stim has not provided coverage in the right area. It has also interferred with my heart rhythm no matter what program I am "on". The pain management doctors agreed to leave it off. Initially, I was told that it was due to swelling, and it would go down. This never has happened. At my check up with my orthopedic surgeron that placed the paddles, the P.A. noticed that the swelling was really bad and I was exhibiting symptoms of the flare/spread of RSD to my back and arms. She insisted that the pain management clinic start blocks immediately in the back area to prevent problems.

It took about 2 or 3 months to convince the pain management doctors that the swelling wasn't the problems the stim wasn't working, and that the RSD had got to my back, possibly from the surgery in which the laminectomy had been performed. The pain doctor started the blocks with no success.

I went back to my primary care, just crying that everything they tried was making things worse. She sent me to a rheumatologist. She was also concerned because my blood work was showing that my white blood cells were increased and a few other things were out of line.

So, the rheumatologist tested for RA, and a few other things. She too agreed and diagnosed RSD. She did find that my Vitamin D levels were extremely low, so she prescribed Vit D (twice a week, 50,000mg a pill), and suggested an accupuncturist.

So, now I am off to an accupuncturist. I went through 12 sessions of laser accupuncture due to metal allergy. She was unable to use the tradional needles on me, so she used a laser. She also infused my blood stream with "colors". This was performed once using an iv that left my arm so bruised and sore that she went to the "under the tongue method". This was performed twice with no success longer then an hour or so.

So, she had prescribed an H Wave machine which is basically a suped up TENS unit. I was surprised at how well the H Wave works. It does what the stim was suppose to do, provides coverage in the correct leg with me being able to control the sensations, and the locations.

I had also returned to my primary care physician because the knee had been grinding, catching and giving out again that was doing the same thing when I needed my meniscus repaired. She sent me in for a CT Angiogram (spelling?) where they inject the joint with medicine and leave a needle in and then do a CT Scan since I couldn't have any more MRIs. I had received a call from her office saying I needed to see my ortho again since the scan revealed intense damage in joint.

I went back to my ortho that had performed the arthroscopic in 2010, and was told that while the joint damage was intense, I still didn't qualify for a new knee. That with the RSD made me a bad candiate for surgery. (He had also indentified and diagnosed "possible RSD"). He recommended that I continue with my pain management doctors.

This takes me up to Cleveland. After a painful car ride down, I made it in to see Dr. Samuels. He came in, looked at me, touched me and said that I didn't present with symptoms of RSD, as there doesn't appear to be any change in the appearance or growth of my hair on the affected limb. My husband had shaved my legs about a week or so ago, but it was growing back. I was suprised to hear this, as for 3 1/2 years + I had been told it was RSD. I had undergone that freaking surgery for the SPC twice!!!! I have this hateful thing in my back that hurts, that causes me intense pain and has set me back, the blocks following the implant, etc.

He then went on to tell me that I was in need of a new knee, even though I told him what my ortho had just said. Dr. Samuels said he wasn't surprised that the ortho did not recommend replacing it, that he probably took into consideration my age, my weight and my unsuccessful previous surgeries. He felt that this was not a nerve problem but structural. He then asked and injected my knee with cortisone and told me to keep track of the pain and to see how long it helped with weight bearing. I was then sent on my merry way - a 5 hour drive back home.

I am ******. I don't know who doctor to be ****** at, so I am choosing all but my primary care doctor (who really wants to help, but can't figure this out). My back is killing me from the stim - my *** hurts from the battery (I caught it a few times in the back seat on the other seat belts) - my foot is throbbing, and my knee is no better. Granted, it was better for about an hour, but then I started having horrible, horrible cramps behind my knee cap practically the entire way home. He wanted me to call him in about 10 days letting him know what was going on.

So, where do I go now? To the looney bin? He gave me no answers, no hopes and new questions that I know I won't get answered. He also did not recomend removing the SCS as he didn't think it would improve anything. So, now I probably can't get it removed because the insurance had sent along my case nurse manager, and the insurance adjuster is a new pain in the ***, and she would deny due to the doctor's recommendations. I feel like now i am screwed (I would have used the other word, but I know this is a "family" board and even though I am upset, I should remain polite).

I feel today that there is really only one answer now if I want to be pain-free. Oh how easy it would be with the pharmacuticals I have in my possession. Just a few extra methadone tablets, a few extra ambien, a few extra cymbaltas, lyricas and celebrex tablets. By the time my family figures it out, it would be too late. So easy, but can I go through with it? What would I miss? I'd miss a few milestones in my children's lives, but at least I wouldn't have the pain. I would not have to worry about not being able to pick up a grandchild when they cry, I wouldn't have to worry about the hugs hurting. I wouldn't have to worry about ever having to find an answer to what is happening to me.

Well, sorry for the long posts. I needed to vent and to think. To have some type of clear head, to look at this logically. To validate an answer. I have some deep soul searching. I don't think I will medically have the answer, so I better go now. I'll be back later. If not today, there's always tomorrow, right?
Patti_Christmas is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
hannah1234 (07-27-2011), rachel's daugther (07-28-2011), wswells (07-29-2011)