View Single Post
Old 07-27-2011, 05:27 PM
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

My dad was diagnosed with MS around 1957? Maybe three to five years later he had his first "black out", and our car went off the road (no serious injuries). My mother said his eyes were open, but he seemed to be unaware and was unresponsive to her hollering. It only lasted a few seconds, and he had no idea what had happened, didn't remember my mother trying to get his attention.

He suffered a few more events like that..maybe a half dozen? I was a kid, so my memory on that is fuzzy. At the time, the doctors at the VA said they were seizures related to MS.

Years after, another doctor told him they had "probably" been TIA's. I questioned that and asked my own PCP how likely it would be to have TIA's and not eventually have a stroke in the next 40 years. He thought unlikely.

We'll probably never know for sure, but when he had these "black outs", they were usually accompanied by other symptoms and were most likely exacerbations.

I'm glad you're getting checked out thoroughly to rule out anything serioius. It sounds as though you are aware that you are "doing it" and kind of snap yourself out of it. Does it feel like a focus issue? Like in school, when you didn't notice that you'd stopped reading your social studies book and started daydreaming?

**My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. (Psalm 73:26)
Blessings2You is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dejibo (07-29-2011), dmplaura (07-28-2011), Jodylee (07-28-2011), Kitty (07-27-2011), SallyC (07-27-2011), TwoKidsTwoCats (07-28-2011)