View Single Post
Old 07-28-2011, 01:56 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default hi there

Hi Tina,

You have to take a deep breathe and try to remain positive. You have some scary weeks ahead, but with a positive attitude you will do much better.

I had a cervical fusion on March 2nd, C5, C6, C7 with titanium plates and 6 screws. I spent 8 1/2 weeks in a hard cervical collar, and weaned myself off some pretty high doses of narcotics during that time. I won't candy coat it, it's a rough surgery, and it takes a VERY long time to heal and feel normal again. I still hurt, I'm better then I was before surgery, but I'm by no means back to normal, it's been 4 months. I didn't drive until I was out of my collar, and after that only very little. So you will need to be prepared before you go in for everything you need.

Your kids are old enough to have things explained to them and have them help, just prepare things before your surgery and make lots of frozen meals and lists!! (I have teenagers also). What I did was make little baskets of things I would need, set my bedroom up as a recovery space and premade and froze soups and stews for quick microwave dinners.

Prepare to be out of it for a while with all the meds you're on. Ask if you can get some home care sent to the house to help with groceries and extras that your kids can't do.

Set yourself up on a schedule right away with pain meds, don't wait until you hurt, it's too late to get out of pain then. Keep a little basket with everything you need within arms reach, and have lots of pillows around you.

I wish you a quick recovery, and if you have any more questions of what to expect please give me an email and I will try to help with answers from my experience. I was pretty panicky before my surgery also, but I'm expecting that you need all these surgeries and shouldn't put them off if the doctor's are wanting to do them back to back. Sometimes the nerve damage for prolonging surgery can be worse then the surgery itself.

God bless.
Cathie
cath1 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote