View Single Post
Old 07-29-2011, 08:35 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwk View Post
How many of you still work or have worked while experiencing neuropathy? Can you tell your type of job? I am a teacher and worried about this coming year. Thanks a bunch! Danielle
I am interested in this as well. I have been a stay at home homeschooling mom for 27 years, am returning to work teaching high school English this fall. I only have a 5 minute drive, which is great, as I find that I cannot drive for more than 20 minutes or so without increasing pain levels throughout the day.
I have "moderate to severe" progressive neuropathy, both small and large fiber, sensory-motor, probably CMT. Skin punch showed no discernable nerve fibers at ankle, few above knee, and segmented and breaking down at thigh, so I am pretty far along with no treatment other than pain relief. I have been to Johns Hopkins for full eval and the neurologists agreed with my decision not to pursue further testing. I am pretty strong with a high pain threshold, so I get along all right, but I do get so tired and when the pain interferes with my life too much I take Oxycodone. But I will not drive when I take it, so I am wondering if teaching will be too much for me, without taking pain meds. I am on 1800 mg gabapentin, which helps with the burning and zaps but not the leg pain. My hands and arms are affected as well, writing on the board will be tough and my handwriting has seen better days.
What are your symptoms like, Danielle?
Susanne C. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
drwk (07-29-2011)