View Single Post
Old 07-29-2011, 01:44 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default newbie

I'm 40, newly diagnosed with TOS by Dr. Hugh Gelabert at UCLA. I developed TOS through a variety of factors, mainly chest breathing, lots of stress/tension, and having to overcompensate for having a short arm cast on my right (dominant) hand for 6 weeks (plus not being able to use it 100% afterwards as I was going through therapy). My TOS is bilateral, left is worse. MRA shows greater than 90% subclavian artery blockage in arms raised position. There is also some blockage on right side. I do not have an extra rib.

So my course of therapy is to start with PT for 4-6 weeks. Dr. Gelabert mentioned the scalene blocks but I'll hold off on that for now. I've also taken about 10 Alexander Technique lessons and will continue with that as it's helped me to become more aware of the subconscious tension in my body.

To complicate all this, prior to TOS diagnosis, I was diagnosed with bilateral cubital tunnel; however, it could all be from TOS. I literally was ready to go under the knife at my elbow when TOS was thrown into the mix.

Anyhow, this is a great site and very insightful for all of us going through this "journey."