View Single Post
Old 07-29-2011, 06:28 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default returning to college. advice?

I played collegiate soccer and back in October I received a minor concussion. I continued playing on it for a week of 4 practices and 2 games. What a huge mistake that was. I figured if I wasn't throwing up or passing out then I was fine. I somehow made it through the end of that semester but had to take this past semester off.

According to the impACT test, all of my cognitive symptoms are resolved. I have not received a neuropsych assessment. I'll spare you the details on all my symptoms/relapses. My main concern for returning to school is fatigue and mental exhaustion.

At rest, I am fine. It's just whenever I do anything, like talking with friends for a few hours, I get very drowsy and fatigued. I took two ridiculously easy classes this summer. Although they were very easy courses, just sitting through class was mentally exhausting. Unfortunately they were so easy that they weren't a good indicator of how I will handle the classes I am taking in the fall, which are challenging. (Biology, chemistry, physics, psychology, latin- I'll probably drop one and take 12 hours) .

The only physical activity I can handle right now is walking a few times a week when I feel up to it. I was at a point in my recovery in June when I was running. Unfortunately I have a problem with knowing my limits, and I definitely overdid it and had a mini relapse. I'm not even going to think about running until December.

I don't plan on having much of a social life or being the student I was. I've always been an above average student (4.0 GPA) and I wasn't very studious.

I'm just scared... Sometimes the fatigue is so bad, I feel like I could slip into a coma any second, I kid you not. I cannot picture myself being able to study when I get like that. When the mental exhaustion is at its worst, all I can do is stare at the wall. My doctor suggested ritalin for the fatigue. I've always been opposed to taking meds unless I absolutely need it, but I'm actually considering it to get me through this semester.

I know most of you are at a point in your recovery where all you can do is stare at the wall all day. I know it's tough, hang in there.!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Kelly50179 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote