View Single Post
Old 03-12-2007, 09:20 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Thanks for your concern Ann..I have a history of addiction, and I completely understand what your sister went through..Was it her make-up or the effects of the cough syrup?..From my experience I would have to say it was make-up..then effect..ie finding a drug of choice..Unfortunalely those who dont recover face the risk of death either through suicide, over dose, or organ failure due to addiction/alcoholism..and I am sorry to hear about what happened to your sister..that is sad..I of all people have to be extra careful..I have a healthy respect for narcodics etc, I have to..There have been a few times where I have had medical procedures that required narcodics..colonoscopy/andoscopy, and had to take valium to redo an MRI at the time of dx with pd because I was so uncomfortable laying in the tube for 2 hours that they had to sedate me, and I had to pick up the prescription for the valium..the Rx was for 2 valium..CVS gave me 10 which is the minimum order, so when I got home the first thing I did was to flush 8 of them down the toilet..immediately..The first few times I took the cough medicine I knew that it had the potential to be abused, I could taste it..but now after about 3 weeks it just tastes like candy flavored water..I went through the same thing with mouthwash 17 years ago when I got out of rehab..I had to rid the house of mouthwash for a few years..Now I use it and never think about it anymore..The first time I used it after getting out of rehab it scared me because I could taste the alcohol in it..It has been told to me by countless people that if I am faced with a situation where I get an Rx for narcodics, that as long as I take them as prescribed then it is medicine..and anything more than that becomes abuse, and recreation