View Single Post
Old 07-30-2011, 12:06 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default New to group & Trigeminal Neuralgia

Hello everyone.....so happy to have found this group but, so sorry so many are dealing with this.

This all started at the end of May.....had the most horrible pain for 1 week straight (I have a high tolerance to pain but, this was like nothing I had ever experienced before!) nothing gave relief....I did finally lay on ice packs which didn't relieve pain but, got so cold it distracted me a little. The pain was in the base of my skull, up to top of head.....into forehead, down side of nose, into right eye & cheek. It also wrapped around right side of head,,,,above ear & into temple. It was constant throbbing, boring pain....some burning......the pain just took my breath away.

Got to a neurologist and she did MRI/MRA all normal....She said it was Atypical TN & started me on Lryrica 50mg in AM & 100mg PM.....not sure if it is working.....have a couple days with just mild to no pain or shocks and than WHAM!!! I get hit....Doc gave me Cambia (a powedered anti inflammatory) & Relpax for when the attack gets to that 4 to 5ish on the pain scale. I take the two of them and if that doesn't work in an hour or so she gave me dilaudid to take. The Cambia/Relpax combo seems to help.....yesterday was so bad I skipped and went to dilaudid.....I have a very high tolerence to pain meds.... a lot just don't seem to work on me, so i really don't like to use them. After pain med yesterday added the cambia and got a little relief. Today was very bad again....woke up ok (as most mornings ) but, as the day progresses it hits.....

What is so hard to deal with (besides the pain) is you never know when the attack will strike.....I really try not to dwell on it and let it rule me. Had 5 good days in a row and thought WOW the Lyrica must be working.....than Friday it starts with a vengence...... TN is cruel.....we still make plans to go out with friends and live life but, sometimes it is so hard...I try to put on a happy face so, I don't bring everyone else down .....my husband is wonderful and is so understanding.....just taking it day by day.

Finding this group is a gift.....have read quite a few posts and its good to be able to share info and experiences with people who really understand what your going through and feeling......friends and family say they do ( and really mean it) but, unless you have felt the wrath of this illness you realy can't fully understand the pain and how it effects your day to day life.

Look forward to chatting with the group & offering my support to others!
Bethgem is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Iam1bizemom (08-29-2011)