View Single Post
Old 07-30-2011, 11:45 PM
Grand Magnate

10 yr Member
Grand Magnate

10 yr Member
Teeth The Trannie

Ahh Sinead, I do understand and feel with you that verve of excitement when one receives a kick in the pants as the gears move up through their synchronicity of shifting with that feeling of power. The trannie? A professional driver's reference to a transmission. You see, when I was in youth seeking funds to provide for the education I sought, I worked much in construction and did drive large [some extremely large vehicles with great power] earning quite good money for a student on summer leave so as to continue studies as the next term would begin having more cash in the bank.

My favorites:
1. The Oldsmobile 442 with Hurst shifter in the manual transmission configuration I owned as a lad of 18 in college. Many a time was I challenged to race with someone because of the obvious power of such a muscle car [never did though, and was never cited for speeding while I owned it].
2. A Kenworth diesel ten wheel tractor without trailer I was roading to pick up a load of heavy equipment. Now, one has never actually felt the kick of power and dexterity in the manipulation of the gears until they have driven such a powerful beast unloaded while working the double gear boxes manually through the combinations of a 5 speed and 4 speed transmission configuration. What a kick.
3 A Caterpillar 988 wheel loader with front bucket for moving quite large quantities of earth or road building materials, although lumbering, it is a charge climbing two stories up to enter the cab and take the controls of such an automatic transmision monster. The 966 Cat loader was my favorite, though, for its nimbleness, carrying capacity, and significant power in a smaller package.

Enough of this, I guess, just suffice it to say, YEAH, I can relate to the notion of driving some kick in the backside land based vehicles, although a truly spirited experience is riding in the right cockpit seat of a Learjet as it climbs out and rapidly ascends to 45,000 feet. It could cause one to fantisize about flying a mach plus fighter aircraft purely for the thrill, although that has never been my lot..... sigh. Having these legs, I reckon I will not see such an accomplishment, and besides which, I am too old to head that direction in this life.

But then, I digress,
Mark56
Mark56 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Rrae (08-06-2011), Sophie_ (08-08-2011)